InnerCHANGE South Africa exists to incarnationally live and serve among the poor in order for our communities to be transformed and disciples of Jesus to be made. We want to follow Jesus whole-heartedly, and collaborate with Him and with our neighbours to see movements of God’s Kingdom in Soshanguve.
Let’s walk humbly, seek justice and love mercy together.
InnerCHANGE South Africa was birthed out of a NieuCommunitites (now Beta Communities) presence in the city of Pretoria. In 2007 a team of NieuCommunites and InnerCHANGE staff conducted a week-long exploration in Soshanguve township, North of Pretoria, to discern how God could use an InnerCHANGE team in that particular area and context. Luc and Petunia Kabongo and their family relocated to Soshanguve, Block HH in April 2008 to pioneer the new InnerCHANGE team. The team has since developed into a diverse group of people, seeking to love God and their neighbours together.
We endeavour to extend the blessing of Jesus and His Upside-Down Kingdom through demonstrations of love in word and deed, with the help of the Holy Spirit. We serve alongside the local church, government welfare institutions, local Non Profit Organisations as well as pioneering new and organic ministries in partnership with our neighbours. As a mixed race team, we hope to live out the joy of God's incredible diverse family.
We are always seeking to build positive empowering relationships with our neighbours through our different activities. We are individually involved in mentoring and learning about God together with different friends.
Current areas of ministry include:
- The Blazers Basketball team; giving teenage boys and girls opportunities to develop skills, build relationships and provide positive role models.
- Kids Club; a weekly fun-time involving baking, games, singing, bible stories and lots of noise! Our local children often play unsupervised during non-school hours, Kids Club gives them a place of belonging and positive experiences.
- Teenage Hangout; a weekly time with young people playing games and exploring life and faith.
- Tutoring; we are involved with local schools and with children and adults within the community. There is little educational assistance available in the township, we help with homework and with ongoing studying.
- Father Smangaliso Mkatshwa Centre; a government-run institution for children and young people who are unable to stay with their families. We are involved in mentoring children and young people, helping with homework and assisting with the Sunday morning service.
IC South Africa is looking to recruit potential team members
What kinds of people would we love to have on the team?
- Those who feel called to work among the urban poor in a cross-cultural environment.
- Those who are flexible.
- People who can pioneer new ministries, and those who would not mind being a part of the on-going ministries listed above.
- Men and women who value people and relationships over tasks and activities. A fine balance between people and activities would be ideal.
- People who value living in a community focused on mission and continual learning as the followers of Jesus.
- Those who desire to use their skills, talents and gifts as a blessing to the poor for the sake of the Kingdom of God.